Thursday, March 24, 2011

RAISING AN EBOOK APP or RAISING THE DEAD

Just amazed myself. In less then forty-eight hours I read a novel. A novella actually, but I never read books that quickly. The only reason I ever finish a novel in a short amount of time is that I can’t put it down.


Which is rare.


Am getting head of myself. Let’s start again.


Several months ago a publisher asked for reviewers of some of their books. They gave me a nice selection, and I picked three. Two of these books I have started multiple times, but just haven’t gotten into them.


I did, however, read the third book: PAST MIDNIGHT by Mara Purnhagen. (See my first book review HERE.)


Because at the time I did not have a tablet or phone that could read other ebook formats, I requested these to be in PDF format and I read the novel on my computer screen.


Since then I have a new cell phone. Though reading PDF files on the phone works, it’s not as simple as it should be. I have to zoom in to make it readable and the text blurs as I move down the page.


I was pleased to find the Kindle App for my droid phone. To test the app out I needed a book to read (Sorry, Jane Austen, but the copy of Pride & Prejudice that came with the app isn’t going to do it for me. Maybe some other time.)


So I went to Amazon and grabbed a copy of Purnhagen’s RAISING THE DEAD.


I’ve been looking for her ONE HUNDRED CANDLES in stores for some time now. I would like to actually own one of her books. (I did buy a copy of PAST MIDNIGHT for my niece’s birthday.)

The first thing I noticed when opening the book up on the Kindle app was the clear the text and ease to read. That’s a major plus over the PDFs. The turn of the pages was smooth.


So far I have only found one negative about the Kindle app, and it is only noticeable when looking at the title and other opening pages. It seems to split pages in odd locations. Like the last three lines are thrown onto a new page/screen. Publishers must certainly be looking into redesigning these pages to fit tablets and phone apps.


And now RAISING THE DEAD.


Only weeks have past since Charlotte Silver’s ghostly experience in PAST MIDNIGHT and now she doubts if they ever happened. When a horrendous storm floods the town and coffins float down the main road, Charlotte recruits her friends to help an old man restore his family cemetery.


As stated, this was an enjoyable story that by the end has very little to do with ghosts and the paranormal but about how Charlotte deals with the experiences around her. By the end Charlotte hasn’t grown much past her concerns and doubts, yet at the same time is ready to face the day a little drier then when the story began.


The characters continue to be interesting and multi-dimensional with none of the clichés of teenage life.

The best way that I can describe RAISING THE DEAD is that of a weekend. The big massive events happen at school or work during the week, and you know there will be more excitement next week, the weekend are those smaller ones in between. There are things that happen, but we know more is to come. I doubt it is necessary to read before ONE HUNDRED CANDLES, but it is certainly fun and enjoyable on its own.

I intend to follow Charlotte Silver as she lights ONE HUNDRED CANDLES and then goes BEYOND THE GRAVE. Though I do still intend to buy at least one of in a bookstore and hold it in my hands, there’s still something about the feel of book paper.


Am currently reading a fantasy romance novel that takes place in what is now my beloved Northern Ireland, and I am enjoying it, but it’s going to take me a whole lot longer then forty-eight hours to read.

No comments: